Hinchingbrooke Hospital’s General Surgical department provides elective and acute care to the residents of Huntingdon and the surrounding areas. The department comprise of three units:
- Upper GI (gastro intestinal)
- Breast / General Paediatric and Plastics
Our surgeons carry out advanced laparoscopic (key hole) and open surgery, and we also provide an endoscopy service for colonoscopies and gastroscopies.
The department achieves national targets including the two week referral of suspected cancers, including upper GI and breast, and making sure that patients wait no longer than 18 weeks to been seen for general surgery conditions.
Community and hospital care
We are actively involved in the community though our specialist nurse practitioners for cancer and stoma care. Our palliative care team works both in the hospital and within the community to support cancer patients and chronically ill patients.
Conditions we treat
General and specialist colorectal surgery:
- Haemorrhoids (piles)
- Injection and rubber banding treatment
- Rigid sigmoidoscopy
- Anal fissures
- Gall stone disease
- Hernias (groin, abdominal wall, hiatus hernia)
- Indigestion and acid reflux conditions
- Adhesion-related problems
- Diagnostic laparoscopy for undiagnosed abdominal pain
- Breast assessments
- Ultra sound
- Breast biopsy
As well as the acute general surgical service from the accident and emergency department, we also provide elective general surgical procedures including:
- Open and laparoscopic hernia repair
- Laparoscopic gall bladder surgery (Cholecystectomy)
- Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration
- Laparoscopic Fundoplication ( repair hiatus hernia)
- Open and stapled (PPH) surgery
- Surgery for anal fissures (sphincterotomy)
- Rectal prolapse (key hole surgery through the anus)
- Obstructive defecation
- Rectocele (STARR procedure)
- Colorectal cancer surgery (Bowel cancer – open and keyhole )
- Pouch surgery for colitis
- Breast surgery; breast lump excision( Lumpectomy)
- Mastectomy for cancer
- Breast reconstruction (L.D. flaps and Tramsflaps)
We have use of the hospital’s state of the art Treatment Centre for outpatients and theatre. Patients are treated on newly refurbished wards, fully compliant with infection control requirements. Our Juniper ward has 30 beds, including 5 side rooms and 5 bedded bays with en suite facilities.
We have two purpose-built operating theatres in the Treatment Centre, designed for keyhole surgery and are equipped to an outstandingly high level.
- Specialised theatre set up for key hole surgery using the storz orl system
- High definition telescopes and monitors
- Fuji endoscopes in the endoscopy suite
- Modern mechanical suturing equipment (staplers)
|Clinic (by appointment only)||9am to 5pm|
|Emergency clinic||9am to 3pm|
|Out of Hours emergencies:||(Contact your GP Out of Hours service or the Accident and Emergency Department|
|Procedure unit||7.30am to 7.30pm|
Where to find us
Hinchingbrooke Hospital’s General Surgery department for outpatients is housed downstairs in the purpose-built Hinchingbrooke NHS Treatment Centre. Upstairs is where the endoscopy suite, day cases and 23hour patients stay. General paediatric patients are treated within the newly opened Holly Children’s Unit and have their operations in the operating complex in the main hospital.
Gastro-intestinal, breast and colorectal cancer patients are also seen and treated in our Woodlands Centre for chemotherapy treatment.
|Outpatient appointments||01480 847444|
|Admissions enquiries||01480 416416|