Since April, 2014, Hinchingbrooke Hospital has had its own in-house Urology Service with a full complement of medical and nursing staff.
The Urology service is run at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, as well as an outpatient clinic at Doddington Hospital. We also cooperate with our neighbouring Trusts including the Urology Department at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge.
Our Urology service treats patients with diseases of the urinary and genital tract. Urology is mainly a surgical speciality, using a high degree of of innovative new equipment to carry out telescopic, laser and keyhole surgery to treat the prostate, bladder, kidneys, testes and penis.
Our outpatient clinics at Hinchingbrooke hospital are run at the Treatment Centre. The majority of our work is done in outpatients or short-stay settings, but some more complex cases may be carried out as inpatient procedures.
Treatment and services offered:
- Destruction of kidney stones
- Lower urinary tract symptoms
- Keyhole prostate surgey (TURP, LASER prostatectomy)
- Diagnostic endoscopic examination of the bladder (cystoscopy)
- Bladder, prostate, testicular and kidney cancers
- Urinary tract infections
- Erectile dysfunction and male infertility
- Bladder difficulties and urninary urge incontinence
Since its establishment as an independent unit, significant investment has been made in the Urology theatre including digital, high-definition (HD) flexible ureteroscopy for the effective treatment of urinary stones.
Our Urology service is the region centre for Green Light LASER Prostatectomy with our own onsite Lithotripter to deal with kidney Stones. We can also offer Botox treatment in the bladder for patients suffering with an overactive bladder as well as a dedicated metabolic Stone Clinic.
We are currently unable to offer services related to paediatric urology.
Mulberry Private Healthcare is the private patient facility at Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Huntingdon. Mulberry welcome self-funded and insured patients from many different specialties including urology.
There is a friendly team on hand to answer any questions you may have.
Tel: 01480 418761
Or visit Mulberry website: www.mulberryprivatehealthcare.co.uk/category/urology/
We are proud to say that the Department is consultant-led. It is run by four full time Consultant Urologists, two specialist nurses and four junior medical staff. Our Consultant Urologists are:
- Mr H Wazait MD, FRCS (Glasg.) FEBU, FRCS (Urology)
- Mr E Mazaris MSc, MD,PhD, FEBU
- Mr Gkougkousis MD, PhD, FEBU
- Mr Dimitar Ormanov
- Carole Edmunds
- Sandra Siddle
Biography of Mr Wazait
Consultant Urological Surgeon
Qualifications: MD, FRCS (Glasg.), FEBU, FRCS (Urology)
Sub speciality: Stone surgery, LASER prostatectomy, erectile dysfunction, cancer diagnostic and urinary tract infections.
Mr Wazait completed all his training (basic and higher) in the UK. He spent his period of clinical research at The Royal College of Surgeon of England and Whittington Hospital in London. He undertook his higher urological training at the North London Hospitals. His final year of training was in the world-renowned Stone Unit at (Fellowship Centre) at St. Bartholomews and the Royal London Hospitals. The Unit was awarded as a Centre of Excellence by the European Board of Urology.
Mr Wazait has been working as a Consultant Urological Surgeon since 2011. Before Joining Hinchingbrooke, he worked as consultant urological surgeon at Addenbrooke Hospital in Cambridge as well as Lister Hospital in Stevenage. He has extensive experience in all aspects of the field of urology. Mr Wazait has been awarded with both the British (FRCS, Urology) and European (FEBU) degrees in Urology.
Mr Wazait has published in peer reviewed journals, presented nationally and internationally on different urological topics. He regularly teaches other Urologists on training and has taught in various national courses. He is a reviewer for urology journals. He has done lots of research on different urological subjects the subject of Urinary Tract infections. He has been awarded the title of Faculty Tutor, Institute of Urology and Nephrology in London. He was included in the editions of “Who’s Who” in Medicine and Healthcare, USA.
Some of Mr Wazait’s publications:
- Simultaneous antegrade/retrograde upper urinary tract access: Bart’s modified lateral position for complex upper tract endourologic pathologic features. Moraitis K, Philippou P, El-Husseiny T, Wazait H, Masood J, Buchholz N. Urology. Feb;79 (2):287-92. do: 10.1016/j.urology.
- A pilot randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial on the use of antibiotics on urinary catheter removal to reduce the rate of urinary tract infection: the pitfalls of ciprofloxacin. Wazait HD, Patel HR, van der Meulen JH, Ghei M, Al-Buheissi S, Kelsey M, Miller RA, Emberton M. BJU Int. Nov;94(7):1048-50
- Predictors of success in surgical ligation of painful varicocele. Al-Buheissi SZ, Patel HR, Wazait HD, Miller RA, Nathan S. Urol Int.;79(1):33-6.
- Long-term surveillance of bladder tumours: current practice in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Wazait HD, Al-Bhueissi SZ, Patel HR, Nathan MS, Miller RA. Eur Urol. 2003 May;43(5):485-8; discussion 488.
To view Mr Wazait’s articles please go to the link: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=wazait
Biography of Mr Mazaris
Consultant Urological Surgeon
Qualifications: MSc, MD,PhD, FEBU
Mr Evangelos Mazaris joined Hinchingbrooke as a Consultant Urological Surgeon in April 2014. He specialises in stone disease, male and female lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS), urinary tract infections, cancer diagnostic and laser prostatectomies.Mr Mazaris completed his urological training and accreditation at the University of Athens in 2009. Before joining Hinchingbrooke he was a Consultant in Urology at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, working at both St Mary’s and Charing Cross Hospitals. Prior to this, he worked in the Urology / Uro-oncology Department at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, as a Senior Fellow and then Consultant. During his time at the Lister, Mr Mazaris trained in robotic surgery.Mr Mazaris holds an M.Sc in Surgical Science (2005) and Ph.D (2010) from Imperial College London and a M.D (2009) from the University of Athens. He is also well published, including four book chapters and 38 articles in national and international journals. Mr Mazaris is an editorial board member for four medical journals.
|Secretary: Moira Young,||01480 418701, Fax: 01480 363566, email@example.com|
|Admission Officer||01480 847551|
|Specialist Nurses||01480 847472|
|Emergency||Dial switchboard 01480 416416 then Bleep 1327|